Sunday, October 21, 2012

Seminole Music Club

A few months ago, I was invited to join the Seminole Music Club.  Jean Moffat, who has been involved in the Seminole music community called and asked if I would like to come be a part of this club.  At the first meeting, there were only three of us.  In times past, they had as many as 30 women participating.  This club is under the umbrella of the Womens Club of Seminole.  The meetings are held in the original Doss house.  Mr. and Mrs. Doss never had children and chose to spend their oil royalties on the community.  Their house is used for several of the local clubs.  Housed inside is a collection of hundreds of vinegarette dispensers from all over the world.  The interior is how it was left when they passed on, including a very old baby grand piano.  Much of what is mentioned in the article really didn't happen because there were only three of us.  I was definitely oriented on the by-laws and programs of the Music Club.  Interesting to note is the description of the table and refreshments.  This is quite common in articles written regarding social events here in Seminole.  I was asked to perform at the October meeting.  Our study this year is Music in the White House.  I do have to mention that at my almost 47 years of age, I am the youngster in the club!!!

October's meeting arrived with great angst on my part.  I was asked to play Claire de Lune and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.  Fortunately for me, I played those songs in high school and have continued to play them through the years.  However, that did not calm me too much.  I arrived a little early to warm up on the piano there.  I'm so glad I did because the piano was very old and had a difficult touch to it.  I then waited for more members to show.  Two members came, ages 83 and 78, and very delightful!!  I am amazed at how many people have been here in Seminole all of their lives.  After seeing the audience and having conversed with them, I felt much calmer about performing.  I played and got a rousing round of applause.  One member said it was worth coming to have just heard me play.  I guess I wowed these ol' Seminole ladies!!!  I am sure that I will be performing again.  This time, the article was very true to the events of the meeting.  All in all it was a great night of socializing with the ladies of the Music Club of Seminole Texas!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment